



Clean Water Advisory Committee

May 20, 2021

Committee Members in Attendance: Jenny DeGroot, Ryan Hawkins, Vicki Heater, Judy Meyer, Laura Jo Severson, Kimbal Sundberg

Ex-officio, County support staff, and members of public: Bob Eagan, Marta Green, Byron Rot, Buck Smith, Kendra Smith, Krista Davis

8:37 AM meeting begins with discussion of Monico – left sewage dept., working off-island.

ACTION ITEM: Krista will find out if he intends to remain on committee

Without Monico we don't have a quorum. planning some votes today, we'll do them with who we have.

8:44 AM Coast Salish Acknowledgement: *Let us acknowledge we reside on the ancestral lands and waters of the Coast Salish people who have called this place home since time immemorial and let us honor inherent, aboriginal and treaty rights that have been passed down from generation to generation.*

8:45 AM Approval of minutes for November 2020, January 2021 and March 2021

Comments: Judy notes that we should look back through minutes when setting future agendas

Jenny: I had to leave for March meeting, minutes note that Cindy had some questions about Cascade Creek

ACTION ITEM: Jenny will contact Cindy directly to follow up

- Judy moves to approve November 2020 minutes, Vicki seconds. All in favor, minutes are approved
- Judy moves to approve January 2021 minutes, Kim seconds. All in favor, minutes are approved
- Laura Jo moves to approve March 2021 minutes, Judy seconds. All in favor, minutes are approved

8:48 AM Agency Updates

Buck: Ecology North regional office moving in with WA Dept. of Transportation in Shoreline.

ACTION ITEM: Buck emails all with new contact info, as well as new emergency numbers for flow issues

Buck: you can still call main switchboard number, then 1, then 1 a second time and reach someone after hours

Q: is Nooksack adjudication happening?

A: we have money in budget for pre-adjudication work, starting to communicate, get water rights in order

Q: what happened with Ecology water quality ruling released about enforcing water quality on agriculture?

Buck: I recommend calling Mack Kaufman (Byron knows him) about that, in the water quality program

ACTION ITEM: Byron will reach out to Mack, let's put this on the agenda for July and maybe Mack can join

Kim: can you give us an update on how water fared in legislature in ways that may affect SJ's?

Buck: money in budget for seawater inclusion work. Restoration of money that was vetoed in last budget round

- Vicki will look into that bill language

8:55 AM Introductions all around. Bob Eagan has many years' experience drilling wells in the San Juans. He's here to tell us that every well is unique, can't generalize

9:00 AM Vote for Chair and Vice Chair. Kim Sundberg (chair) and Judy Meyer (vice-chair) candidates
Byron opens the floor, does anyone else want to put their name in the hat for Chair? No

Laura Jo moves to nominate Kim for chair, Jenny seconds. All in favor. Motion carries. Thank you Kim!
Does anyone else want to put their name in the hat for Vice-Chair? No.
Kim nominates Judy, Laura Jo seconds. All in favor. Motion Carries. Thank you Judy for stepping up!
- Kim runs meeting from this point on.

We have 5 applications for the CWAC. In past, Chair/Vice-Chair and review and make recommendation. We can do that in subcommittee and forward on to council. -

- that procedure sounds fine. Nobody objects
- two seats open on SJ and Lopez, Bob has applied for the seat on Orcas, one applicant for Lopez and three for the two San Juan seats.

ACTION ITEM: Kendra will coordinate with including Cindy in that as well
(Byron sharing screen with CIP table)

9:02 AM 2021-2027 draft Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) for review and discussion Kendra Smith

Kendra: you all received the pdf of this I sent out. Point out that,

- Items in orange are projects we had in the nearshore CIP under marine, you have advised us that you consider estuarine areas to be eligible for clean water capital funding. So three projects moved
 - One new project in yellow – fisherman Bay stormwater bypass. Flows come down fisherman bay road, that ditch and culvert are at capacity. We are looking at strategy to carry that water further down-road
 - Money available for system upgrades if this project causes disruptions, Kendra discussing with Jamie
- Still need strategy for water as village expands. Fiscal year is on calendar year, already planning for 2022-2023.

Q: is there any remediation/mitigation going on with this runoff at the village?

Kendra: the ditch itself is open conveyance, but below the village is a bioswale.

Q: is this integrated with project KWIAHT was involved with 10 years ago? Russel Barsh's bioswale project

Kendra: no, it's not. The other project we have in this list is the Week's wetland bioswale.

Back to the CIP summary:

Unsecured grant monies are added in italics. Increase from last year's CIP's because of these additional projects.

Rates: 5-year average 2022-2027. 5-year total number needs to be split among county and among Islands.

We've included anticipated grant revenue in next 5 years, but most of that will be used for 2021 projects

Q: so the grants that come in are credited to the entire county, not to the island where that project occurs?

Kendra: correct, the whole county shares the cost so the benefit is assigned to whole county payment.

Rate calculations: the island rate and the county rate get added together. This means rates will go up.

Functionally a doubling for Orcas, more than tripling for Lopez. Rate goes down slightly for overall county which affects Shaw and outer islands – they still pay into county but don't receive CIP projects.

Kim: but different rates are because SJ is incorporated in Friday Harbor, where those taxpayers are paying for capital projects but in Orcas and Lopez the county is effectively serving that function for the villages

Kendra: correct, and rate for FH is higher than any of county rates. Our rate is a service and not a tax.

- Discuss some ways to lower rates, sliding the timing of some projects, etc.

(Kendra shares screen), presentation: shows False Bay, Garrison Creek, Crow Valley top priorities for CIP
Stormwater capital projects on Lopez and Orcas. Last year spent \$350K, this year at least double. Timely delivery of projects is challenging: grant/review deadlines, in-stream work windows, permits. Huge delays on pipe delivery, unpredictability of grants. staff includes just Kendra, Krista, Byron, some help from Ryan and Byron.

Options for CIP: reduce project list, shift timing. Include estimates for future grants to add to the CIP. Define what is an acceptable increase for next biennium or define a revenue target and fit the program to it.

- If we accept CIP as is, we'll be raising rates significantly. We don't need to go to public with rate change, just county council. Everyone expects rate changes, but how much? Don't want to create issues.

DISCUSSION:

- island-to-island comparison is of concern. more than a doubling of the rate seems like a lot. some projects will be delayed, may not happen in 5 years.
 - reduce project list to ones we can get done in next 5 years, be careful of promising money we can't guarantee
 - the marsh/estuary restoration projects are great but at Port Stanley and Crescent beach it would involve eliminating the road. how realistic are those? Put them on the list for long term, when there's major funding
- Kendra: I can adjust timing and that can push numbers lower. I think on Lopez in particular with tide gates. Aim to get down to the 'not-more-than-doubling' rule as a goal post
- it'll be important how this rolls out. An article in the weekly? Include comparison of county rates to FH rates
- Kendra: Can we vote on leave out future funding or not? - Judy and Kim disagree on this point
- Compromise: include caveat with particular projects – that these won't happen unless grant comes through
- Next steps: Kendra will make revisions, send around to group for feedback. Then bring this to July meeting.
- The other part of the rate is the operating program which Kendra is still working on.
- Vicki: where to put a placeholder for groundwater? There's nothing in there for CIP.
- Kendra: we do – it's in operating budget. can't capitalize groundwater work but we have money earmarked
- Vicki: what about updating groundwater monitoring network?
- ACTION ITEM: Kendra will check with Milene on that, it's equipment vs. capital construction

9:59 AM Stormwater project update Lopez Island *Krista Davis*

Completed Weeks Rd. Bioswale project. Need a contractor to maintain swales, and work on additional projects

Farmer's market: submitted design, project out-to-bid. Hope to start construction by July. Creating parallel parking, pedestrian trail. Adjacent bioswale to take village's stormwater before it goes down to Weeks wetland.

This is the second piece of stormwater facilities on Lopez. Then move on to Tower road project.

Judy: how have interactions been with farmer's market?

Krista: challenging. They had concerns about timing. We've tried hard to work with them on timing and access.

10:04 AM Sea water intrusion and Lopez groundwater monitoring network – next steps *Vicki Heater*
(*Vicki shares screen*), explains seawater intrusion, shows diagram developed by Doug Kelly.

Monitoring network isn't looking at water quality, it's gauging the amount of freshwater in the system.

On island, freshwater is all from rainfall. Fresh groundwater is lighter than mineral rich seawater so floats atop.

- discusses details for study of an aquifer on Lopez village, looked at various wells in the area.

Q: you're showing amount of freshwater above the seawater lens?

Vicki: monitoring wells measure amount of water above sea level, indicator of aquifer volume.

Chloride can be an indicator of seawater intrusion, network looks at trends. method of using water level as indicator of seawater intrusion, pressure gradient in wells to evaluate risk of seawater intrusion in certain area.

Monitoring network has been in place since 2003. Last download in 2018, dataloggers sitting since then. We're either losing data or batteries or dead. Kyle Dodd had plans to go out and download data.

Culmination of running this network to run a risk groundwater model with Pacific groundwater group.

What's next? The glacial aquifer has limits, must consider risks moving forward. In south end of Lopez we already see saltwater intrusion. Desalination is an option. Need strategies for that and conservation in South.

Monitoring network on North end of Lopez – requires maintenance, regular sampling.

Judy: I draw water from the shoal bay system, our HOA was concerned about what NW services was proposing. Humphrey Head monitors chloride in well quarterly, I can share that data.

ACTION ITEM: Vicki can share this presentation, Judy wants to use it with HOA, Kendra wants these slides as well

Kendra: has the county considered supplemental injection? should push to maximize water staying on landscape

Vicki: we have this valuable tool to determine when we need these engineering fixes

ACTION ITEM: Vicki to contact Kyle to find out when he can come back and represent Health dept., report back about how ground water issues will be represented on this committee

- Subcommittee with Vicki and Kyle to come up with a groundwater management strategy

Kim: worried about all the growth in the county, they're either connecting or drilling their own wells.

Bob: Before monitoring, need buy-in from public. Problem then was that consensus, we're an independent lot. Need to understand better what's going on in Lopez before support the build-out of the whole community.

Kim: sets the tone for future discussion, let's revisit this on next agenda for groundwater

10:41 AM Surface water updates

- Cascade Creek

Jenny DeGroot

Land bank has put datalogger into watershed, needs fine-tuning. Rosario mansion is selling their property and water rights. Hope to retain all four water rights, including hydroelectric to divert water from cascade creek.

We don't have any Trust water rights in the creek until June 1. Coho were there last month as well as Chinook.

Kim: there's \$100K of grant money to negotiate water right from Rosario. There's willingness to buy water right.

Jenny: we've been trying to negotiate with them for years

Judy: Orcas women's coalition? - meeting June 1

- Culverts: Fish Trap Creek (Cormorant Rd) and Bayhead Creek (Killibrew Lake Rd)

Ryan Hawkins

(*Ryan shares screen*) Fish trap creek crosses Cormorant Bay Rd. existing 18" pipe, going with 10' wide box culvert. It will greatly improve fish passage. We'll need to remove 4 trees. We have until October 15 Killibrew Road – proposed 25' wide pipe with 6' channel in middle with meander zone. Hit snag with downstream property owner, redesign but submitting permits soon for building next summer

Q: Why change HPA dates?

Ryan: based on their understanding of hydrology/seasonality of stream. Creeks probably already gone dry.

Byron: possible to connect with Bullocks downstream of Fish trap? - yes, Ryan can give them an update

- Bailer Hill Rd culvert hydraulic modeling

Byron

Byron visited with Bob Warrinner. Existing culvert is about 13', needs to be 24', but not a fish passage block.

Existing culvert in good shape but needs to be extended to the north, WDFW said no unless we can show with hydrological analysis that it's not a velocity barrier. Contracting that now with NW Hydrological.

- Red Mill Farm updates

Byron Rot

Dean and Byron working on this, contract signed with Ecology for the grant. close to an estimate from Thor Black for the fence, hope that'll start next month, then put in plants. Byron is managing the site

Q: When's next Zylstra meeting?

Holding pattern with Lincoln, attorney and water rights. Hope for early summer. Byron will keep us posted

Kim: Doug putting in new siphon over the dam, by August. water will be done going over spillway in next week or so. Likely won't be water going downstream other than seepage from the dam.

Some discussion of zoom link issues. Byron can set it up as a repetitive. Next meeting July 15

11:02 AM

Ajdourn