



SAN JUAN COUNTY
Marine Resources
Committee



Marine Advisory Committees

MRC-CAG-LIO

Meeting Agenda

Thursday, May 7th, 2026
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM

Microsoft Teams

[Join the meeting now](#)

Meeting ID: 250 980 488 408 52

Passcode: RW9YM6Gm

Dial in by phone

[+1 360-726-3293,,33179822#](#) United States, Vancouver

[Find a local number](#)

Phone conference ID: 331 798 22#

While this is a virtual meeting, a public meeting place is available at the Beaverton Valley Operations Center, 1609 Beaverton Valley Rd. in Friday Harbor for those without mobile phone or internet access.

9:00 AM	Convene MRC Meeting – Adam Parrott
9:05 AM	Public Comment
9:10 AM	Approve meeting agenda – All Approve MRC April meeting minutes – MRC Members
9:15 AM	Northwest Straits Commission (NWSC) Updates- Christina Koons • NWSC Rep Position for San Juan MRC
9:25 AM	2026 Annual Review of San Juan County Commercial Shellfish Growing- Jessica Nye, San Juan County Environmental Health Manager
9:40 AM	MRC Updates/Business • Updates/Next Steps re: Jackson Beach - <i>Sam Whitridge</i> • Report on Puget Sound Day on the Hill- <i>Frances Robertson</i> • Discussion re: San Juan MRC becoming a MyCoast member -<i>Kari Koski</i> • MRC Member Renewals/Vacancies- <i>Sam Whitridge</i> • Kelp and Eelgrass Outreach project planning- <i>Sam Whitridge</i> • MRC subcommittee updates ○ Outreach & Education- <i>Katie Johnson</i> ○ Plastic Free Salish Sea- <i>Karin Roemers-Kleven/Katie Johnson</i> ○ Seagrass Protection- <i>Olivia Graham/Katie Johnson</i>

	○ Derelict Vessel Prevention- <i>Adam Parrott/Kari Koski</i> ○ Oil Spill/ERTV-<i>Sam Whitridge/Charles Bookman</i>
10:40 AM	Committee member updates and any other business
10:45 AM	Adjourn MRC Meeting Convene LIO Meeting
10:45 AM	LIO Business- <i>Katie Johnson</i> • San Juan LIO Organizational Review • Mobile Pump Out Discussion • August 2026 Leadership Council Local Forum • General Announcements ○ Release of HSIL Marine Vegetation Implementation Strategy ○ Other General Announcements • Puget Sound Partnership Updates- <i>Jason Lim</i>
11:30 AM	Adjourn LIO Meeting Convene CAG Meeting
11:30 AM	CAG Updates/Business- <i>Sam Whitridge</i> • Report on April 29-30 SRFB Site Visits • SRFB Grant Round next steps
12:00 PM	Adjourn CAG Meeting

MRC, CAG and LIO Committee Members in Attendance: Matt Arata, Charles Bookman, David Checkley, Kailey Genther, Brian Goodremont, Olivia Graham, Patti Gobin, Rich Goodhart, Christina Koons, Adam Parrott, Lovel Pratt, Mike Ramsey, Karin Roemers-Kleven, Kimbal Sundberg, Beth Tate, Flora Vaught, Lola Walker, Sandy Wyllie-Echeverria

Ex-officio, County support staff and members of the public: Katherine Combs, Jesse Douglas-Seitz, Marta Green, Colin Huntemer, Katie Johnson, Kari Koski, Jason Lim, Kari McVeigh, Jessica Nye, Frances Robertson, Craig Smith, Sam Whitridge, Tillery Williams

9:00 AM **Convene MRC Meeting** *Adam Parrott*

9:01 AM **Public Comment** *none*

9:02 AM **Approve meeting agenda** *All*

Adam: I need to leave early, I'd like to move the Jackson Beach discussion to the top of the agenda
No other changes, Adam moves to approve the agenda. All in favor.

Approve MRC April meeting minutes *MRC Members*

Sam received no edits. Sandy moves to approve, Dave seconds. Lovel abstains (as did not attend the meeting). All in favor, the April meeting minutes are approved.

9:04 AM • **Updates/Next Steps re: Jackson Beach** *Sam Whitridge*

Adam: we met at Jackson Beach, got clarification on the miscommunications that led to this situation. Restoration plans would result in losing 15' of the staging area on the beach, requiring more effort/cost for barges to reach shore. So, they developed a plan that would result in full functionality of the staging area instead of the approved restoration plan. Climate change/sea level rise/erosion were addressed. Kari McVeigh expressed interest in looking into long-term viable alternatives for the County. Studies would need to be done.

Kari M: we plan to meet with PSP and still hope to use the available funds for restoration

Tillery: we have short term solutions we need to address and more long-term planning that needs to take place

Sam: initial SRFB funding from 2024 funds were returned to the County to use for other projects

-Frankie provides information on how the mitigation calculator works

Brian: I still find it hard to believe we got this far without approval from the County

Adam: there was previous Council approval for this project and plans that were stamped by Public Works.

-MRC staff reviews the timeline of the design and approval of the project. PRISM link shared in last meeting. We also had an erosion analysis. The project was designed to move rock on the beach to build in future resilience.

Brian: still need to resolve this miscommunication before going forward with future projects

Colin: these plans impede PW operations. That has been my consistent feedback. Environmental Stewardship prepared the report that claimed these activities would be compatible at this site, PW never signed off on plans.

Lovel: This has been through multiple permit review and grant application processes that County approved. The applications have always acknowledged the barge landing site as well as all the recreational uses.

Kari M.: I was at the meeting Colin referred to along with Kendra, Jessica Hudson (County Manager); the activities didn't seem compatible. Colin said to Kendra, if you have a study that shows we can do both go for it. Kendra commissioned Facet for the study. Going forward we'll ensue PW and ES can be in full collaboration

Charles: For Kari M – you mentioned a next interaction with PSP. How do you see this moving forward?

Kari: I'm looking forward to more cooperation and meeting with Mindy at PSP

Tillery: there is some information that doesn't add up somewhere in terms of the communications issues. At some point it may be good to sit down. We're committed to a solution that fits both purposes.

- Adam departs the meeting; Matt Arata takes over the role of Chair

9:31 AM **Northwest Straits Commission (NWSC) Updates**

Mike Ramsey

Presentation from DFW about the uses for kelp and human interactions with it; their website has more on kelp. Jamie Stephens was elected as Chair of the Commission. Planning molt surveys of invasive Green crabs, opportunities for surveys and outreach.

Question: are there local mitigation actions for Green crab?

Lovel: yes, talk to Jess Newley from Friends of San Juans, they have been conducting efforts

Mike: Science Advisory Committee welcomed Nicole Naar. Cecilia Gobin from NW Indian Fisheries Commission, have a new report out for 2026. And new funding opportunity - they want us to brainstorm what we'd do with \$500K per year, what would our priorities be - they want to have that cued up for May 29th commission meeting

Lovel: maybe we can schedule a separate meeting with whomever is interested to discuss it further?

Kari: if there no restrictions on funding, we can draw from our work plans

Olivia: any other written document we could look at describing the funding?

Charles: Should we emphasize projects or the strength of funding the ES program/staff in SJC more broadly?

Matt: we already have several subcommittees, let's get proposal to Mike to present at this meeting

ACTION: form a subgroup and meet in next week or two. Christian, Lovel, Olivia, Mike. Sam will take lead

• **NWSC Rep Position for San Juan MRC**

Sam: Christina is unfortunately terming off MRC at end of June. We need someone to fill that role.

Mike became the alternate when Karin resigned, attended the last meeting when Christina could not

MOTION: Lovel moves to appoint Mike as NWSC rep, Dave seconds. All in favor, none opposed. Motion passes.

9:54 AM **2026 Annual Review of San Juan County Commercial Shellfish Growing**

Jessica Nye

Jessica Nye, Diseases prevention and environmental health manager, shares screen for presentation.

Every year the State reviews Washington's shellfish growing areas. None of the areas in our County are being threatened with a downgrade in classification. You can see the sites online, highlighted green areas show approved growing areas. Water samples are analyzed, identify potential sources of pollution. Press release was made on April 29th confirming SJC shellfish growing areas meet Public Health Water quality standards. Local public health programs are a factor in maintaining high standards. Robust on-site septic operation and maintenance program. Shellfish safety program which regularly collects and analyzes samples.

Charles: what's the frequency of shellfish sampling? Especially during season changes

Jessica: less testing during off-season. I believe it's monthly

ACTION: Jessica will confirm timing and get back to Charles directly via email

9:59 AM **MRC Updates/Business**

• Report on Puget Sound Day on the Hill- Frances Robertson

This is hosted by Puget Sound Partnership (PSP) and NW Straits Commission (NWSC). Asking for support for some specific funds like SRFB and passing certain legislation like Floodplains recovery act. 60 people came from WA state; took part in 49 meetings with congressional officers from all over the country. Numerous federal departments, Transportation, Commerce. Met with Reps Larsen, Randall and Senator Murray.

PSP and NWSC organized an event with various congressional officers to come speak about the importance of restoration as a priority and that Puget Sound is an economic backbone to the State. Addressing the challenges of sea level rise, Congressman Larsen specifically called out SJC for work with derelict vessels.

This year was more optimistic than last year and our delegation came away more positive.

Tillery: I met with Frankie. We discussed the cutting of funding to scientific departments at the Federal Level

Frankie: I wasn't in the meetings with NOAA or EPA. There's a group called Environmental Protection Network hiring many former EPA employees and continuing some of their work,

<https://www.environmentalprotectionnetwork.org/>

We've lost so much institutional knowledge and expertise from the federal government

Lovel: Friends of SJ's participate in Puget Sound Day on the Hill as well, great opportunity to engage with folks working on similar issues. Garnered support for the ERTV. And need to remind delegation that protection is important and less costly ultimately than restoration.

Kim: buck up, those experts are still out there, we've been through this before

Olivia: thanks to Frankie and everyone representing our needs in DC. I'd love to get involved next year

10:19 AM • Discussion re: San Juan MRC becoming a MyCoast member

Kari Koski

MyCoast is a great tool, information about Green crab, derelict vessel, etc. and marine debris. We have some groups like YCC that work on picking up marine debris but this app can really get the information out about what's needed. I've been trying to help facilitate – permission from landowners etc. Developing a partnership but we're not listed as a partner on their website. This doesn't fall under Derelict Vessel or PFSS subcommittees.

ACTION: everyone should explore the MyCoast site and app and we can discuss and vote on this at next meeting

10:24 AM • MRC Member Renewals/Vacancies

Sam Whitridge

Quick update/reminder – Dave Checkley and Christina Koons terming off at end of June. We've received a couple applications from members to fill those roles. Charles and Karin willing to participate in interviews and help with vetting process then make recommendations to council. Anyone else interested?

And Matt and Adam whose first terms are expiring who we plan to recommend to council for renewal.

There's still time if you know folks who would be a good fit encourage them to apply soon

10:26 AM • Kelp and Eelgrass Outreach project planning

Sam Whitridge

This is the NOAA funding with which we had a delay with contract being signed. We need to spend down first half of this money this year. Susan Eshelman will work on developing the map and other outreach initiatives focused around kelp/eelgrass and the MSA.

10:28 AM • MRC subcommittee updates

o Outreach & Education

Katie Johnson

We made a big splash last weekend at the FHL Open House, thanks to everyone who attended. Also participated in Boating Stewardship Day at the Port with various other partners. We'd like to make that an annual event

Karin: repping the MRC is always fun but this time a lot families, they really liked the wheel with questions.

There will be a speaker series at the Fair, that's a great opportunity for us if anyone is interested

10:32 AM o Plastic Free Salish Sea

Katie Johnson

GICU (Great Islands Clean Up) – 250 volunteers across four ferry served islands + Sucia and Jones. Hundreds of pounds of waste removed and sent to landfill or recycling.

Kari K.: we're working on the boat shrink-wrap trend, want to target ways to recycle that plastic film.

10:36 AM o Seagrass Protection

Olivia Graham/Katie Johnson

Olivia: Actively doing field work for our Eelgrass stressors project, busy field season, things moving forward

Katie: folks who are doing vessel counts – there will be a training at end of May/early June

10:38 AM o Derelict Vessel Prevention

Adam Parrott/Kari Koski

We were in the boat parade together with IOSA. We've been hearing back from one or two folks about voluntary vessel turn-in program. Need to get out again for vessel patrol before it gets too busy.

In the process of drafting information about the importance of vessel registration and definition of DV

10:39 AM o Oil Spill/ERTV

Sam Whitridge/Charles Bookman

Working with partners to draft letters to Transport Canada, Islands Trust Council in Canada and several others. We think all Council members would like to sign off on our comments and maybe others.

Sam: that will be on agenda for Monday May 11th. It was originally signed by Chair Justin Paulsen because of timing, but will be much stronger coming from whole council

Kim: Canadians continue to move ahead with increasing capacity through Transmountain pipeline, and pushing for a new pipeline to the west coast

Lovel: some of the material from that pipeline comes down to the refineries in Washington. Permits are being made for this expansion. We'll get the word out about the hearing for that so people can share comments.

ACTION: Lovel will share comment letter with the MRC

10:44 AM **Committee member updates and any other business**

Frankie: it's public service recognition week. Thanks to all of you for serving on the MRC!

10:45 AM **Adjourn MRC Meeting**

11:19 AM **Convene CAG Meeting**

11:20 AM **CAG Updates/Business**

Sam Whitridge

- Report on April 29-30 SRFB Site Visits

One day in the field and one day virtual site visit presentations. Sam shares screen with excel spreadsheet Land Bank had two projects on Orcas that ended up being pulled – Judd Cove and an Eastsound acquisition for various reasons around funding/preparation. Four projects moving forward.

These four applications total request 1.3 million; allocation likely expected to be around 1.2 million. This year includes PSAR funding. Won't be sure about exact allocation until some other budget information is available. This includes money we borrowed last year from several other entities which we'll repay this year.

- SRFB Grant Round next steps

Still early in the process of reviewing proposals. MRC/CAG will do final evaluation based on 15% socioeconomic criteria in August and that will become part of SJC final scoring.

Charles: are MRC members meant to hold comments until August?

Sam: technically meant to score on socioeconomic but welcome to chime in on other aspects at this stage

Charles: regarding first project, some issues with the proposal.

Sam will report back in June!

Next MRC/CAG/LIO meeting Thursday June 4 at 9 am - in person at San Juan Island Grange

11:30 AM **Adjourn CAG Meeting**

10:45 AM Convene LIO Meeting**10:46 AM LIO Business***Katie Johnson***• San Juan LIO Organizational Review**

Katie shares screen for presentation to help understand what the LIO is. SJI's are home to critical habitat. Local entity sees issues here firsthand, but coordinate efforts across federal etc. LIO is a regional partnership, 'Local Integrating Organization'. Bring together NGO's, tribes, scientists, governments, etc. We're one of ten LIO's organized down by watershed, authorized by State RCW. PSP (Puget Sound Partnership) is the backbone organization for this recovery work, the Action Agenda is the backbone planning document. The Action Agenda Oversight Group is the Executive Committee (accountability oversight group) and the Implementation Committee (that's us meeting right now). Governance and Membership of our current committee consists of Kari McVeigh from SJC Council, Patti Gobin from Tulalip, and various others

Katie highlights some past and ongoing projects/priorities including stormwater management/toxic contamination, healthy shorelines, and freshwater quality-related. These priorities are reflected in our local plans e.g. the Salmon Recovery Chapter update, State of the SJC MSA, etc.

PSP wants LIOs to create local action plans and we've had two – one is OSS and the other is related to Health shorelines

Kim: FYI I'm terming off CWAC in June so I'll work with Susan to come up with a new rep for LIO

10:59 AM • Mobile Pump Out Discussion

I was contacted by another LIO coordinator, I invited Jessica Nye and Kate Combs to hear what they had to say about mobile pump out. We heard from some folks in the recreational boating association who've applied for clean vessel act funding to toward a pump out station in the SJI's. The grant is for \$350K, they're looking for local partners and about \$90K in matching funds

Frankie: one problem in the SJ's has always been where will mobile pump out take that waste? Don't have a facility here capable of processing it or capacity for storage

Katie: a great idea in theory but lots of details and hurdles. I wanted to make everyone aware of the grant proposal
Some discussion: is this a nonstarter or something we should support? Will need to continue to maintain cost of transport of waste to appropriate facility. Some questions about capacity, who's managing it, etc.

Kari K.: what about industry partners in the rec boating world

Matt: idea of a mobile pump out barge at Sucia that could be towed to Bellingham. That got built, need pilings to be driven for it.

Frankie: where does this proposal fit in with state parks' plans?

Katie: circle back to Jessica's presentation and the fact that quality of shellfish are doing well

11:15 AM • August 2026 Leadership Council Local Forum

All-LIO forum. This is coming up in late August, likely at Tacoma Office. Think about what you'd like to highlight.

11:17 AM • General Announcements

o Release of HSIL Marine Vegetation Implementation Strategy

This next Implementation Strategy has been released. There was some nice recognition of work happening here
Katie will share those documents

• Puget Sound Partnership Updates*Jason Lim*

Next Leadership Council Forum this coming June 3 and 4th

11:19 AM Adjourn LIO Meeting