



SAN JUAN COUNTY
Marine Resources
Committee



Marine Advisory Committees

MRC-CAG-LIO

Meeting Agenda

Thursday, April 9th, 2026
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM

Microsoft Teams

[Join the meeting now](#)

Meeting ID: 250 980 488 408 52

Passcode: RW9YM6Gm

Dial in by phone

[+1 360-726-3293,,33179822#](#) United States, Vancouver

[Find a local number](#)

Phone conference ID: 331 798 22#

While this is a virtual meeting, a public meeting place is available at the Beaverton Valley Operations Center, 1609 Beaverton Valley Rd. in Friday Harbor for those without mobile phone or internet access.

9:00 AM	Convene MRC Meeting – Adam Parrott
9:05 AM	Public Comment
9:10 AM	Approve meeting agenda – All Approve MRC March meeting minutes – MRC Members Policy re: recording MRC Meetings- Sam Whitridge
9:15 AM	Northwest Straits Commission (NWSC) Updates- Christina Koons • Report on NWSC Retreat April 2-3 • NWSC Rep Position
9:25 AM	Jackson Beach Restoration Project- Adam Parrott • Debrief MRC Memo/Presentation to County Council on March 23rd • Project discussion with SJC Public Works Director, Colin Huntmer • Next Steps
9:55 AM	MRC Updates/Business • Update on NOAA grant for Kelp and Eelgrass Outreach- Sam Whitridge • NWSC Science Advisory Collaborative Sessions- Sam Whitridge • MRC Member Interview Committee-Sam Whitridge • Draft ERTV letter to Transport Canada- Charles Bookman • Discussion re: County Marine Infrastructure- Matt Arata

	• MRC Summer Outreach Calendar- <i>Adam Parrott</i> • MRC subcommittee updates ○ Outreach & Education- <i>Katie Johnson</i> ○ Plastic Free Salish Sea- <i>Karin Roemers-Kleven/Katie Johnson</i> ○ Seagrass Protection- <i>Olivia Graham/Katie Johnson</i> ○ Derelict Vessel Prevention- <i>Adam Parrott/Kari Koski</i> ○ Oil Spill/ERTV-<i>Sam Whitridge/Charles Bookman</i>
10:55 AM	Committee member updates and any other business
11:00 AM	Adjourn MRC Meeting Convene LIO Meeting
11:00 AM	LIO Business agenda- <i>Jason Lim/Katie Johnson</i> • PSP Updates • LIO Commitments for 2026-2030 Action Agenda • EPA Funds for Strategic Initiative Leads (SIL) 3.0
11:30 AM	Adjourn LIO Meeting Convene CAG Meeting
11:30 AM	CAG Updates/Business- <i>Sam Whitridge</i> • Sorenson Shoreline Restoration Project • 2026 Salmon Recovery Grant Round Updates
12:00 PM	Adjourn CAG Meeting

MRC, CAG and LIO Committee Members in Attendance: Matt Arata, Charles Bookman, David Checkley, Rich Goodhart, Adam Parrott, Mike Ramsey, Kimbal Sundberg, Beth Tate, Joey Ullman, Flora Vaught, Lola Walker, Sandy Wyllie-Echeverria

Ex-officio, County support staff and members of the public: Erin Andrews, Paul Cline, Audrey Coyne, Tyler Davis, Gregg Dunphy, Fred Felleman, Ray Glaze, Patti Gobin, Marta Green, Sasha Horst, Colin Hunttemeter, Katie Johnson, Kari Koski, Jason Lim, Kari McVeigh, Jessica Owens, Frances Robertson, Craig Smith, Heather Spore, Tina Whitman, Sam Whitridge, Tillery Williams

9:03 AM **Convene MRC Meeting**

Adam Parrott

9:04 AM **Public Comment**

Heather Spore

I'm an environmental policy manager for the Swinomish. The Tribe is very concerned about the potential for this Jackson Beach project to not move forward. We are moving forward with a comment letter; planning to send it shortly as soon as we brief Tribal leadership. We are concerned about how that habitat has been treated.

9:06 AM **Approve meeting agenda**

All

Approve MRC March meeting minutes

MRC Members

Sandy sent a revision regarding a comment he made in the discussion about eDNA following Tyler's proposal.

MOTION: Sandy moves the minutes be approved as corrected, Dave seconds. All in favor, minutes approved

9:07 AM **Policy re: recording MRC Meetings**

Sam Whitridge

We'll be recording meetings going forward, that'll likely be the case for all advisory committee meetings.

Question: how will that work in person? Answer: likely also on Teams

9:08 AM **Northwest Straits Commission (NWSC) Updates**

Sam Whitridge

- Report on NWSC Retreat April 2-3

Sam: Christina is out today. Sam and Christina attended the NWSC retreat 4/2-3 on Camano Island. This was the first time staff was included in the Retreat and it was helpful. There was a baseline awareness survey about what the commission does; we reviewed those results and strategized around the feedback. The second day was about MRCs reaching their full potential via communication, funding, etc. There'll be a follow-up summary

- NWSC Rep Position

Christina has been amazing but she's terming off the MRC. This is a coveted role, an opportunity to network etc.

We need someone to fill the role when Christina departs at end of June. Please contact Sam if interested.

Sasha: we alternate between virtual and in-person meetings. We try to rotate around to all seven counties, and we appreciate the travel that happens. No meeting in October or November due to the Conference and then the December meeting is always virtual. If your grant doesn't cover that travel, the Commission can help

9:14 AM Jackson Beach Restoration Project

Adam Parrott

- Debrief MRC Memo/Presentation to County Council on March 23rd

We spoke to Council; Olivia, Adam and Flora gave a presentation about the need for a clear process. There was a lot of other public comment. There were some concerns about how this was presented to Council and our role as an advisory board. Colin is here to make some statements. Let's keep discussion concise.

- Project discussion with SJC Public Works Director

Colin Hunttemer

Colin: April 2025, various county staff met on site at Jackson Beach. The built environment there provides transportation services; restoration ideas included removing elements of that built environment. We agreed to retain a consultant who assessed the impacts of various ideas April-October. After October a 30% cost design estimate was their product. The report discusses costs for various alternatives. Staff concluded developed alternatives were not financially viable. In December, Public Works presented a less costly maintenance project to Council that would remove rock from the beach and stabilize the upland portion. The work happened at the end of January/early February, the cost was about \$35K and the work took four days.

Sam: the Facet feasibility report from the fall was shared with MRC by Kendra back in November

<Colin shares screen to show the Facet report detailing alternatives for the site> Colin shows photos of the beach and removal of creosote and rock. At low tide, depressions where rock was removed are visible. This makes the beach profile more consistent with beach to the south and west. County has no further work planned at this time. Colin offers to meet on site with any MRC members and plans to attend future MRC meetings

Tina: who designed this rock removal? and were all permits are in process with Army Corps and County?

Colin: There's no permit needed for maintenance activities. The Corps issued a maintenance exemption letter. We worked closely with WDFW. This is a maintenance exemption at the local level due to the land use designation. I was told to do an as-built permit and submit it in January as a maintenance permit – that still rests with the County. It was conducted through the lens of a maintenance activity, meaning there's no SEPA.

Adam: Tina also asked who designed the rock removal and replacement. Was that from the Facet report?

Colin: we discussed our ideas with regulatory agencies. The Facet report was the bigger picture. There are other entities, like POFH who can help take care of this site to ensure barge access into the future

Heather: I take issue with the statement that the County didn't need a Corps permit. As a tribe, we review those permits; I'm curious to know which staff told you that wasn't required. It removes the opportunity for tribal comment including impacts on tribal treaty resources like forage fish known to spawn on that beach. We are willing to accommodate some of Public Works' needs but there must be a balance that includes tribal consultation and addressing the habitat needs of important species like killer whales and salmonids.

Kim: the County's Technical Advisory Group (TAG) had prepared engineered drawings for the restoration by 2023. Those plans are stamped by Public Works. The TAG regularly recommends restoration projects in the range of a million dollars, they require multiple levels of vetting including the granting authority. This restoration project was approved including a barge landing. We've all been working toward the same goal

Frankie: as cultural resources coordinator, I've been working to improve the County's tribal engagement with the many tribes that have UNA treaty resources in the islands. Part of how we work needs to include giving tribes notice about work even prior to permits and providing them opportunity to review and comment. If projects are grant funded, for example, and listed in PRISM, allows them an opportunity to participate

Colin: I heard Kim say the goal was to remove more rock. That wasn't the scope of the work

Kim: there's still half a million dollars of work left for this project, if we could come up with a more permanent solution for the site going back to those 2023 drawings, those could accommodate the needs for a barge landing. These were done by experienced engineers with knowledge about how to preserve forage fish habitat.

Colin: was there a cost estimate with those drawings?

Kim: yes, included with those drawings and part of the 18-month vetting and approval process. It always meant to retain a barge facility. It was about getting the rock off the upper intertidal to improve forage fish utilization

Colin: How would I participate in the TAG?

Sam: the TAG is the technical advisory group reviewing grant proposals for salmon recovery funding and they make recommendations to the MRC. They just meet a few times a year to review those proposals

Colin: I'd like to participate there too. My purpose here is to ensure these committees have this information

Tina: The real concern is process and what we can improve in the future. It seems like the County has day-to-day maintenance siloed in one place and long-term planning in another. This is a systemic issue, not just at this site. We

need some structure to ensure that at the beginning, even with maintenance activities, there's better coordination with short- and long-term goals. This site is a great opportunity to work together.

Colin: the County views this as an improvement; we removed creosote, debris and rock off the intertidal.

Tina: the place where the rock ended up isn't high enough, so the restoration hasn't been maximized. That's why review and professional design are important. In 20 years, the high tide will be right at the toe of that structure again; there was no design there so we don't know if that rock could have gone back 30 more feet.

Frankie: a shoreline erosion analysis was done at this site to see what would happen if we pulled out the rock. The County manager asked if that could it compromise Pear Point Road and that slope. We had professional engineers study that and they said it would erode back whether the rock was pulled off or not. Public Works was kept apprised of the design process and when we applied for the implementation funding, they signed off on it.

Kari M.: Process is important. And I understand the need to find balance with the needs of a barge which is very important to this community. But if there is still more money to be spent, I'm in support of using it

Adam: did you have a chance to review the 2023 proposal?

Kari M.: no, I've seen this analysis from 2025 and I've visited the site with County staff

Adam: moving forward Council and Colin should get access to that 2023 report

Kim: the PRISM link has all the documents because it has 20-30 documents related to this project,

<https://secure.rco.wa.gov/prism/search/ProjectSnapshot.aspx?ProjectNumber=20-1040>

<https://secure.rco.wa.gov/prism/search/ProjectSnapshot.aspx?ProjectNumber=24-1662>

Adam: thank you Colin for being here, I think having you here in future would help clear up a lot in future

9:56 AM MRC Updates/Business

- Update on NOAA grant for Kelp and Eelgrass Outreach

Sam Whitridge

This was a pass-through grant through NWSC to the MRC, it was held-up due to federal language in the contract. County Council agreed to sign it, the agreement is in place, and we can move forward with that work, that's \$147K for outreach. We'll split the funds between two years, we want to hit the ground running. There was some additional \$20K attached to those funds that we missed the opportunity for

Frankie: is there a creative way to use those funds? \$20K is about the gap in our own derelict vessel fund

ACTION: Sasha says that Dana will be reaching out to that derelict vessel workgroup.

10AM • NWSC Science Advisory Collaborative Sessions-

Sam Whitridge

Katie and I attended one of these last year that involved the eelgrass outreach grant. If we want to participate in the first round, we should respond by late April; if we want to participate in fall we can respond by September 18 It's an opportunity to interact with their science advisory committee and get feedback on project work

10:01 AM • MRC Member Interview Committee

Sam Whitridge

Katie has posted a recruitment announcement, a couple of vacancies coming up. We're always looking for island diversity and we're losing Dave on Shaw and Christina on Orcas, so it would be good to get folks from those or outer islands. Sam will let MRC know when we move forward with interviews, members should participate

10:03 AM • Draft ERTV letter to Transport Canada-

Charles Bookman

SJC Council has a liaison with the Island Trust council, its partner in Canada. The liaison is Justin Paulsen who returned from a meeting with Islands trust and felt there were more opportunities to collaborate with them. He convened a phone meeting; Fred Felleman was there, Sam Whitridge and myself, to discuss the opportunity to promote the importance of a rescue tug vessel closer to Haro strait as tanker traffic increases due to new facilities coming online in BC. If we draft a letter, he'll sign it as Council President. We focused on collaborative efforts like joint exercises for spill reports. The subcommittee drafted two pieces correspondence. Thanks for all Fred

Felleman's help. That first letter is to be signed by Council chair Paulsen going forward. And the other letter is regarding Paulsen's role as Liaison to the Islands Trust to promote the idea of transborder exercises.

Kari: thank you for those letters, they were both excellent, I'm happy to sign off on those. Last summer we had a cross-border forum, Lovel Pratt was there. I'm very pleased we've got to this point

Charles: Lovel can't be here, she's kept the MRC informed on the growth in traffic. it'll be a multi-fold increase

Kim: I follow the Canada oil scene, because of Iran war they're really ramping up production. They're dredging Burrard inlet to increase capacity of tankers. It's timely to keep on the ERTV issue, there's going to be more tankers exporting to Asia. And BC recently rescinded the five-year agreement with first nations

Fred: I really appreciate your commitment to this issue. The Canadian government is asking us for input, they know they're choking us with more vessels and may be ready to do more toward protection. To the degree you can keep up your collaboration across the border, it's key. We appreciate our collaboration with Lovel over the years. We shouldn't have to wait for an oil spill to get the protection we deserve. I don't know what it would take to engage Transportation Canada more. I hope pushing and pulling with them will be a recipe for success.

MOTION: Charles moves to approve both letters, Dave seconds, all in favor

ACTION: Sam will finalize and send those letters to Jessica and Justin and ask them to send to full Council

10:15 AM • Discussion re: County Marine Infrastructure

Matt Arata

This is about docks and cranes and mail shacks. Too bad no one else is here from outer islands to add comment.

The County has several docks, e.g. West sound, Prevost Harbor, Odlin, Orcas Landing, and some others. A lot of those are in bad condition. There's an attempt in Public Works to improve them. There have been permits in process for the Eastsound dock. (Matt reviews some details for proposed work/in progress for a few other docks) An email went around recently on Stuart that the County was removing the cranes and mail shacks from the docks. They had small 500lb. capacity davit cranes for boat-loading. The County removed those cranes, that's no longer a service anyone can use if you have a large appliance you need to pick up off the dock.

Complaining to Public Works is like shooting the messenger. Risk Management wanted the cranes removed; they were being misused and County was worried about liability. They're only rated for a certain weight; one crane was broken due to misuse. Similar situation at Waldron On Stuart and Waldron there's are mail shacks on County docks. Those aren't permitted. Some outer islands think County has plans to remove those; I couldn't verify that with County, mail shacks are still there. Mail is important out there and so are those buildings.

Kari M.: since the County can't afford to pay someone to oversee use of those cranes, they had to be removed following misuse. Risk Management is part of Human Resources; they advised us what type of insurance we would need to cover use of those cranes. We just have no ability to monitor the use and we're incredibly liable.

Colin can likely speak to the mail shacks out on Stuart and we'll look at those next

Charles: some public piers have had porta potties for years. At Hunter Bay there was some vandalism and the response was to pull out the porta-pottie; that was unfortunate

Colin: I'll make a note out of that. But the reality is that County can't spend the money to maintain those.

Kari: we just aren't funded for that, there is no money for that and for a lot of marine infrastructure.

Colin: I have been engaging with communities on outer islands about those cranes. The one in Deer Harbor was on a private pier. But there are real challenges to maintain public infrastructure in remote places. They can endanger the person using it in the moment but also a problem if it's used irresponsibly and the next person uses it when it's in a state of disrepair. Porta potties are an amenity we're not prepared to maintain if they are misused. Colin reviews some details of specific sites. Odlin is back in commission.

Katie: There are numerous grants available through RCO for marine infrastructure: <https://rco.wa.gov/recreation-and-conservation-office-grants/>

Frankie: What about the legislative Capron Fund for marine infrastructure? SJC and Island are the only counties receiving Capron funding to help sustain marine facilities

-Kari Koski explains the source of Capron funding and how it's intended to help support marine highways. Some nice history here, Victor Capron was a House Rep from San Juan County, <https://crab.wa.gov/news/2024/fuel-tax-refunds-are-coming-counties-january-heres-why-and-what-you-should-know>

Colin: I'm aware of Capron funding, it's part of vehicle taxing that support state highways. Because SJC has no state highways, that allocation is different. (meanwhile Island County does in fact have a state highway)

ACTION: Kari K. and Colin will circle back offline

Frankie: There have been concerns related to the Odlin Pier, it's been out of commission for several years due to a broken piling. Without it, some Lopezians say those working in the maritime sector have no place to bring in their supplies/materials. At least one constituent had to abandon the livelihoods they trained in.

10:36 AM • MRC Summer Outreach Calendar

Adam Parrott

Katie shares Outreach events:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tpJAvF36hmk3ZU0_gkxOp5QwwVXXrVM020owNUqjXUw/edit?gid=0#gid=0

First in person meeting June 4th where we'll have a sign-up sheet, but if you're interested in an event, tell Katie.

May 2 – FHL Open House, also Open day at Port in May, lots of dock talks at Roche and Deer Harbor

Katie: we're having a subcommittee meeting soon to talk about upcoming events

Plug for getting involved, engaging with public. These upcoming events are fun, talk to Katie about contributing

Adam: then we'll have the Fair. Last year the interns came up with a lot for that, will the youth reps be involved?

Katie: I hope so, and there are also opportunities to give talks. If you want to be involved, please talk to Katie!

Adam: any time we can take burden off staff we're stretching our budget

Flora: could members from my HS or the eco club help staff these events or just MRC members?

Katie: when it's specific to MRC it should be MRC representation, but many opportunities to involve others

10:42 AM • MRC subcommittee updates

o Outreach & Education

Katie Johnson

we just covered this (see above) – Katie will send out spreadsheet just discussed, next week we'll coordinate summer outreach with our partner org to fill out some more of those dates. Please join us – it's fun

o Plastic Free Salish Sea

Katie Johnson

next weekend is GICU (Great Islands Clean Up), Saturday April 18th, events on all four ferry-served islands. Power squadron is helping with marine State parks. Encourage everyone to get out and pick up plastic off beaches and roadways. The afterparty on SJI will be at brewery with help from Flora and eco-club, food from Molina San Juan and music, t-shirts and clothing swap hosted by the eco club.

Kari: stewardship award, the "Finnies" (wooden-carved) all across the islands to those who have been engaged

o Seagrass Protection

Katie Johnson

Adam: I went to Olivia's talk last month and it was fantastic

Katie: We're meeting later this afternoon to discuss using NOAA funds for eelgrass/kelp outreach.

Reminder to get out and do boat counts – even if datapoint is zero it's important. Ties in with broader project

Frankie: provides long term tracking of vessel trends. Another project Olivia and I are both part of is an HSIL-funded eelgrass stressors project. Multiple partners, plans for the upcoming season for collecting data on vessel presence trends. Olivia has been busy collecting eelgrass data all winter. All this eelgrass protection work is ongoing. We hope to be able to present some of this data next year as well as some MSA-related work

Regarding MSA outreach, we're giving our first big presentation about that next week. I'll be in DC and Kari Koski will give that presentation to the marine naturalist training program.

Dave: the American Constitution, a small cruise ship with American Cruiselines, has been anchoring in Eagle Cove close to shore in what looks to be depths where eelgrass could be present. They have a large anchor. We have a subcommittee looking at that, but I wanted everyone to be aware.

Frankie: that's a great reminder of that issue. Residents on Canoe Island have brought that up as well

10:52 Am o Derelict Vessel Prevention

Adam Parrott/Kari Koski

Kari: The subcommittee met. Regarding vessel monitoring, we also have a worksheet to track derelict vessels. We have an analog form we can send out to committee members for what we need with your boat count. And for the eelgrass/kelp report, next week April 16th is Bull Kelp Day. NWSC has some fun activities and links. Bull kelp is our state kelp. <https://nwstraits.org/news/2026/april-16th-bull-kelp-day> , <https://nwstraits.org/our-work/kelp>

We want to post fliers about boat turn-in at various boat launches/marinas/public places. We want to have some articles out in local paper highlighting rule for needing to move your boat after 30 days, about boat registration and end-of-life plans for your boat.

Adam: anyone can print off a poster and put on your local dock

10:56 AM o Oil Spill/ERTV

Sam Whitridge/Charles Bookman

Our major effort has been the correspondence that was just approved at this meeting

And the legislation that Lovel talked to us about regarding clean fuels didn't make it through recent leg session

10:57 AM Committee member updates and any other business

Frankie: I'll be in DC next week for Puget Sound Day on the Hill along with Lucas Hart and others to advocate for the NWSC reauthorization. We'll also be advocating for salmon recovery funding and other aspects of PS health.

10:58 AM Adjourn MRC Meeting

11:06 AM Convene CAG Meeting

11:30 AM CAG Updates/Business

Sam Whitridge

- 2026 Salmon Recovery Grant Round Updates

We've received six proposals; we've invited all six to move forward but one or two might pull out for various reasons. Full proposals due April 15th. Sam will send those out once they're released. Site visits on April 29th-30th. The 29th will be in-person visiting sites on Orcas, one site boat to from Shaw. The 30th will be virtual presentations not suitable for in person site visits. More information and an agenda for site visits in a week or two. MRC members encouraged and invited to attend since they'll be reviewing these projects later in summer. We're expecting 1.2 or 1.3 million in available funding, moving target, we'll have more exact number in a couple months but it'll be a sizable grant round

11:08 AM • Sorenson Shoreline Restoration Project

This was a shoreline restoration in Fisherman Bay on Lopez, the family was a rare circumstance with a willing private landowner. It was held up with some cultural resource review but now ready to move forward with construction in fall and they have a time extension and small increase request. Bids are coming in now, so we don't have exact cost increase request to review now, but be aware that's coming soon

Finally, a helpful update regarding PACSURF award to state of WA – we recently heard that RCO will be approved for these funds. There has been a lot of uncertainty, but it looks like this was approved.

11:12 PM Adjourn CAG Meeting

MRC, CAG and LIO Committee Members in Attendance: Matt Arata, Charles Bookman, David Checkley, Rich Goodhart, Adam Parrott, Mike Ramsey, Flora Vaught, Lola Walker, Sandy Wyllie-Echeverria

Ex-officio, County support staff and members of the public: Paul Cline, Tyler Davis, Gregg Dunphy, Ray Glaze, Patti Gobin, Marta Green, Sasha Horst, Colin Huntometer, Katie Johnson, Kari Koski, Jason Lim, Kari McVeigh, Frances Robertson, Craig Smith, Sam Whitridge

10:58 AM Convene LIO Meeting

10:58 AM LIO Business agenda

Jason Lim/Katie Johnson

- PSP Updates

Jason: as announced previously (at the end of the MRC meeting), Puget Sound Day on the Hill is in DC next week

10: 59 • LIO Commitments for 2026-2030 Action Agenda

Katie Johnson

Katie: there are some draft commitments made by LIO coordinators for next action agenda. Sharing them here, (Katie shares screen)

The first is fecal pollution, relates to OSS action plan – commitments regarding participation on ECB subcommittee

The next action agenda is related to Healthy Shorelines. LIO's will update by 2029.

Last topic is Strategic leadership

Be aware these are moving forward toward next action agenda; please reach out to Katie with any questions

11:02 AM • EPA Funds for Strategic Initiative Leads (SIL) 3.0

The SIL's are grant programs funded through the EPA; they just released funds for next SIL 3.0 which is in competition now. Last spring we discussed the potential for a fourth SIL, that won't happen, but the Habitat SIL will have a marine and nearshore component. So, the SIL's are Habitat, shellfish, and stormwater

Announcements for next version of SIL will be in June. Katie details out funding amounts for each of the categories

11:06 AM Adjourn LIO Meeting