



SAN JUAN COUNTY
Marine Resources
Committee



Marine Advisory Committees
MRC-CAG-LIO
Meeting Agenda

Thursday, September 4th, 2025

9:00 AM – 12:00 PM

In-Person at San Juan Island Yacht Club
273 Front Street, Friday Harbor, WA 98250

While this is an in-person meeting, a virtual option is available via Teams for those who cannot attend in person:

Microsoft Teams

[Join the meeting now](#)

Meeting ID: 224 695 057 192

Passcode: TY6MU3f3

Dial in by phone

[+1 360-726-3293,,117069420#](#)

[Find a local number](#)

Phone conference ID: 117 069 420#

9:00 AM	Convene MRC Meeting – Adam Parrott
9:05 AM	Public Comment
9:10 AM	Approve meeting agenda – All Approve MRC August meeting minutes – MRC Members
9:15 AM	NWSC Meeting Report to the MRC- Christina Koons
9:20 AM	MRC Updates/Business • Report from MRC Summer Interns- <i>Sonora Tate and Ava Martin</i> • NW Straits Conference Updates- <i>Sam Whitridge</i> ○ San Juan MRC Collaborative Networking Activity Planning • NWSC Meeting in FH on Sept 26th- <i>Sam Whitridge</i> • Debrief from MRC San Juan County Fair Booth- <i>MRC Fair Volunteers</i> • OPALCO Tidal Energy Generation Project- <i>Sam Whitridge</i> • Marine Capital Improvement Plan for MRC Review- <i>Kendra Smith</i> • MRC Youth Position Update- <i>Kailey Genther, Sandy Wyllie-Echeverria</i> • Update on Cattle Point Project- <i>Katie Johnson</i> • Sept 27th Kelp Soiree at SJI Museum of Art- <i>Sam Whitridge</i> • MRC subcommittee updates ○ Outreach & Education- <i>Katie Johnson</i>

	○ Plastic Free Salish Sea- <i>Karin Roemers-Kleven/Katie Johnson</i> ○ Seagrass Protection- <i>Beth Tate/Katie Johnson</i> ○ Derelict Vessel Prevention- <i>Adam Parrott/Kari Koski</i> ○ Oil Spill/ERTV-<i>Sam Whitridge</i> ● Other subcommittee updates
10:30 AM	Member/Public updates and other business
10:40 AM	Adjourn MRC Meeting Convene LIO Meeting
10:40 AM	LIO Business agenda – <i>Katie Johnson</i> ● PSP Updates- Jason Lim ● Debrief August 20th Local Forum with Puget Sound Partnership Leadership Council ● 2026-2030 Action Plan Topic Prioritization ● Stormwater Strategic Initiative: Local Integrated Watershed Planning Funding
11:30 AM	Adjourn LIO Meeting Convene CAG Meeting
11:30 AM	CAG Updates/Business- <i>Sam Whitridge</i> ● Wrap 2025 Grant Round ● Update on future NOAA Salmon Recovery funding
12:00 PM	● Adjourn CAG Meeting

MRC, CAG and LIO Committee Members in Attendance: Paul Andersson, Matt Arata, Charles Bookman, David Checkley, Kailey Genter, Rich Goodhart, Brian Goodremont, Olivia Graham, Christina Koons, Adam Parrott, Lovel Pratt, Karin Roemers-Kleven, Joey Ullman, Sandy Wyllie-Echeverria,

Ex-officio, County support staff and members of the public: Caitlyn Blair, Tyler Clark, Marta Green, Katie Johnson, Kari Koski, Jason Lim, Frances Robertson, Craig Smith, Kendra Smith, Sonora Tate, Sam Whitridge

9:01 AM **Convene MRC Meeting** *Adam Parrott*

9:02 AM **Public Comment** *none*

9:03 AM **Approve meeting agenda** *All*

Agenda approved, no additions. Dave moves to approve agenda as is, Sandy seconds. Agenda is approved.

Approve MRC August meeting minutes *MRC Mem-
bers*

Sam sent updated version including edits. Adam moves to approve the minutes as sent, all in favor. Approved.

9:05 AM **MRC Updates/Business**

- Report from MRC Summer Interns *Sonora Tate*

I created a plastic free campaign for July. I increased both IG and FB support. We did a scavenger hunt for the Fair. My internship was extended another month. I'll do a couple marine patrols and work on derelict vessel messaging with Kari Working with Frankie on outreach for updated whale regulations. I'll wrap up with GICU on Oct 4th

-some discussion of Be Whale Wise flags; WA State Parks has plenty, we gave them out at dock talks, the Fair, etc.

9:09 AM **NWSC Meeting Report to the MRC** *Christina
Koons*

At the recent NWSC meeting, we reviewed MRC projects. Christina shares a list of all seven MRC's and what they're working on. Conference in November, registration is open. There'll be a booth at the upcoming Wooden boat fest in Port Townsend. Bellingham had a vessel turn-in event, 29 vessels, 22 were deconstructed on site.

Adam: we did a vessel turn-in here two years ago. DNR has been working with different MRC's and counties. Kari: The Derelict Vessel program is open year-round, a big part of our prevention arm is voluntary turn-ins. Adam: the legality is that the owner must surrender. County can only touch it if it's an imminent environmental risk.

9:20 AM •NW Straits Conference updates *Sam Whitridge*

Caitlyn: reminder that registration for the conference will be open until October 7th. Chat with County staff to ensure coverage for travel & hotel <https://www.nwstraits.org/2025-mrc-conference/>

There's a room block at the Fairfield Inn. Speaker bios are on the website. There will be a final agenda when it's ready before the conference. Registration confirmations and more information will be sent soon. The conference is November 7-8th, Friday and Saturday. Karin, Lovel and Sam plan to attend.

Based on the pre-conference survey, this year we'll do half panel sessions – one on Tribal governance, on is a land-use session with four speakers on different environments that connect with the marine ecosystem.

There's an additional session to be determined, and then two collaborative networking sessions. There will be an MRC-potential activity, looking at operational aspects of MRC's looking at challenges and sharing information.

o San Juan MRC Collaborative Networking Activity Planning

Sam: Would we like to see a certain project highlighted at the conference? I understand we'll have a station and then lightning talks to share our project with the whole group. Seems like vessels makes a lot of sense

Frankie: the recreational vessel survey due to the novel approach we took. We're continuing with the analysis now

Kendra: Looking at land use, but this is a marine program. The one gaping hole is the water and the water use. There's the shoreline management plan that's just about shorelines and docks. When it comes to mooring buoys and where to concentrate recreation and marine reserves etc. need to consider how we use our marine waters and documenting what's going on them. Boating impacts seems more important to talk about than forests and prairies.

Frankie: I wasn't planning to come because they only provide for one staff person. But I do have capacity within the vessel study funding, and I will have data to present to the NWSC September 26th (that's a public meeting). Boat counts are important, especially as part of the HSIL eelgrass stressor project. We can estimate boat densities. I've only found one other study in which this methodology has been used to look at objects and not animals

David: I'm all for what Frankie proposed. I think it touches on a lot of issues related to our local ecosystem.

Adam: I also like the idea of using this topic and I'm in favor of Frankie being there to deliver the presentation

Karin: can we clarify what land use means and what we're thinking about that topic?

Caitlyn: this topic didn't get in last year, the broad idea of diverse land use, more information on different ecosystems and how they affect the marine environment. Upland management and effects on marine waters.

Frankie: do you have anyone talking about SMP's? Island County MRC has been active. It's a key aspect of land use

Caitlyn: Yes, Island County talked about their SMP last year and their networking table will be on that topic. Last year it was about the process of how they got to the SMP, and this year is more of the actual SMP and what that looks like for future planning. Every year we send out pre and post conference surveys, please submit there

Kendra: I want to caution our MRC to stay focused on the marine environment. We have a land managers group, the CD working on forests, and people working on stormwater etc. The value of this group is focus on tending to the marine environment and on shoreline. We need to be strategic as funding gets tighter.

9:47 AM • NWSC Meeting in FH on September 26th

Sam Whitridge

Caitlyn: We'll start with a site visit at Jackson beach, then back to the SJI grange where the major portion of the meeting will happen, presentation from Frankie and some outer County commissioners may speak as well. Everyone is invited. Please let Caitlyn know if you plan to attend. Unfortunately, due to funding we can't provide lunch for all. Afterwards, we'll visit the kelp exhibit at the SJ museum of art. Museum closes at 5pm and our meeting ends at 3pm. Jeff Whitty and I will be at the soiree on Saturday

Sam: there are time slots for a County Council member and/or a Tribal rep to talk about their work with the MRC

We can see if Jane Fuller is available on the 26th and able to address the Commission

Christina: if we don't have a Tribal rep, we can use that time for something else?

Caitlyn: we have time in the agenda to accommodate both, but we'll figure something out. Bring questions to Lucas

Olivia: what's the benefit of MRC members attending that meeting? What role would we have if attended?

Caitlyn: presentations and opportunities to get involved. It's a way to be supportive, hear about what other MRC's are doing, opportunity to talk to other MRC members. The site visit is fun. It's great for us to get to know you

Christina: when meetings are held in MRC counties it's fun to see who shows up, opportunity for public comment.

Adam: we had a discussion earlier this summer about membership participation and this is a very low-hanging fruit

Kailey: can we get an agenda of the day? That would be helpful for planning schedule around work

9:58 AM * Debrief from MRC San Juan County Fair Booth

MRC Fair Volunteers

Adam: I had a blast! That scavenger hunt was so fun, interns did a great job, people were very engaged

KRK: I'll second that. It was well put together by staff and interns. All I had to do as an MRC member was show up

Frankie: The Green Village sometimes struggles with engagement, but we had a lot more this year. The booth benefits from people staffing it and activities. The word got out about Stewardship because of the jellybeans

Lovel: I think it would be good to get a variety in types of a booth. It's a disadvantage to have them all together

Rich: What if you could have a buoy manufacturer of the type we'd like to see installed at the Fair?

Adam: could we get a vendor in the Green Village for something like that? Like Matt Arata

Matt: I could do that
Adam: we can suggest to Fair planning committee; not promote buoys. But we can provide permitting information

Christina: Frankie has been staffing a booth at the Seattle boat show for years and that's evolved a lot

Joey: I can answer any questions about mooring buoy components or recommendations.

10:09 AM • OPALCO Tidal Energy Generation Project

Sam Whitridge

We met recently on this topic. I circulated a staff report for County Council. We tried to make it as concise as possible, thanks for all the feedback. The tenor of this report is that additional information is needed for Council to make a decision and to really assess the environmental impacts of the project. This will be on the Council's agenda on Sept. 8th and we'll see how they want to proceed. Thanks to Dave and Charles for all their work on this

ACTION: Sam will send a final version of what has been sent to Council.

Karin: do you need other MRC members at the County Council meeting?

Sam: it's always great to have other members attending, the agenda is still in progress so don't know exactly when

Lovel: there's always public comment at 9am

10:12 AM • Marine Capital Improvement Plan for MRC Review

Kendra Smith

Spending capital funds on various projects: Weeks Way Restoration on Lopez, Jackson Beach Restoration on SJI, Orcas Landing Marine Interpretative Area, and County Mooring Buoy system capital planning on Orca.

- Kendra discusses some details for what will happen this fall.

- discussion about how special the Orcas landing marine interpretive area is and Tribal involvement at its inception

Christina: could we convene a group of Orcas do-gooders to help clean up litter at site?

Kendra: Sam Martin has been planting some native vegetation and stewarding that

- And finally, the County Mooring system is a plan for the future, it'll be a pilot

David: is it for regulating buoys? Putting them in, taking them out?

Kendra: maybe all, it's a placeholder for future planning. This is a new item in the six-year CIP. it's slated for 2028-29

MOTION: David moves to approve the CIP, Olivia seconds. All in favor

10:26 AM • MRC Youth Position Update

Kailey Genther, Sandy Wyllie-Echeverria

In our last meeting we announced approval for a youth member. We've been interviewing youth members for the past month and we'll have recommendations for the October meeting. We advertised in various places, Sonora helped. We opened it to high school aged and young adult up to 25. In future, looking in summer isn't best

Christina: other MRC's are interested in this so if you could prepare a report about how you did it, I would share it

Katie: Jefferson already has one, so we go tips from them

10:31 am • Update on Cattle Point Project

Katie Johnson

Beth & I met with DNR folks about the funds they have etc. They're excited to work with the MRC. They're planning some construction to reinforce the building and add a door etc. So, our new plan is to add exterior signage. We'll get an extension of our grant; putting something on the outside will still fulfill the terms of our grant.

10:34 AM • Sept 27th Kelp Soiree at SJI Museum of Art

Sam Whitridge

It's invitation only. Do we have special guest list? Must check with Betsy about numbers. We want this to be open to MRC members. Kari wants to know if you have a specific person in mind that should be there

ACTION: Kari will send out more information, let her know if you're dying to come to the soiree

Joey: there's a cool project happening with the Hodin lab –sea star release coming up next week to benefit kelp

ACTION: Joey will talk to Sam about putting a presentation on the agenda for a future meeting

10:41 AM • **MRC subcommittee updates**

o Outreach & Education

Katie Johnson

it was a great outreach summer; I just want to thank everyone who was involved

o Plastic Free Salish Sea

Karin Roemers-Kleven/Katie Johnson

son

GICU (Great Island Clean Up) on Saturday Oct 4th on Jackson Beach at 10am. No event at the brewery like we usually have in the spring but hope a lot of people will come. There will be coordinated events on different islands.

Adam: in the past the Port allowed folks to use their dumpsters

Olivia: is there a flyer for that? It's often advertised at labs very last minute, but we'll have fall quarter students here

ACTION: Katie will get that to Olivia shortly

o Seagrass Protection

Katie Johnson

Please continue counting vessels, even a data point of zero is helpful, photos are great, this helps the HSIL project

Sandy: points out the September edition of TideBites, an article about seagrass (Sandy will send this around)

o Derelict Vessel Prevention

Kari Koski

We'll be starting up patrols again and meeting as a subcommittee soon, let Kari know if interested

o Oil Spill/ERTV

Sam Whitridge/Lovel Pratt

We should schedule a subcommittee meeting soon. Marta has information to present and wants closure for how to share concerns about Ecology's report on ERTV effectiveness to explain why we're not showcasing the report.

Marta: Lovel mentioned the ongoing rulemaking on the Rosario Strait tugs. She and I both submitted public comment in that process and recommended the Ecology risk assessment not be relied upon. The ERTV has been a long view, we've been fighting for it nine years, but want to bring this to the attention of new council people and legislators. I suggested to the Leadership council that they follow up on outgoing request of Inslee to focus on this issue and shared with them the fact sheet with some of our subcommittee's findings and conclusions. It's been 3.5 years since County sent a joint letter with Islands Trust to the Government of Canada. The Leadership council suggested they'd bring this up at their next meeting, looking at whether they could address this with Canada.

Marta pledges to follow this issue and continue to bring back information on this

FYI - an article about the tug escort rulemaking: <https://salish-current.org/2025/08/12/effort-to-dial-up-oil-spill-prevention-meets-pushback/>

- Other Subcommittee updates

Karin: October is Orca month and Oct. 18th is Orca Recovery Day. Shall we consider planning something?

Adam: whos' interested in doing something for that? - Karin, Brian, Frankie, Kailey, Adam

Frankie: we'll reactivate the SRKW subcommittee

MOTION: Christina moves to reactivate the subcommittee, Kailey seconds. So moved.

- Olivia will help on Oct 18th but can't help on the subcommittee

Paul: Stewardship network meets today; CD has done some orca recovery day work on the past.

ACTION: Karin will contact them

10:58 AM **Member/public updates and other business**

Tyler Clark from MoorBuoys shares screen to show platform for sharing unused existing mooring buoys.

Tyler: we're working with various partners. We've been presented two different options for how this could work,

1. Moor Buoys would purchase the buoys and lease them commercially
2. The individual owners retain their buoys and apply for their own commercial lease

There are pros and cons to both options. We're also looking at State legislation and County code and came up with the idea for a reciprocal sharing program. No rental fees. Buoy owners volunteer their buoy in exchange for the use of others or just for the benefit of the marine environment. This supports dv monitoring by keeping buoys in use.

Adam: will only buoy owners be able to be in this buoy share program? And are they paying a rental fee?

Tyler: no, any rec boater can be involved. And no fee –program will be free, we're looking into how to support it. We also want to offer people volunteering their buoys a free inspection as an incentive to ensure it's safe for use.

Lovel: does SJC support this?

Kendra: no, we've been directed to send notice along with DNR to notify them about commercial use

Tyler: but there is nothing prohibiting the conversion of recreational buoys to commercial use

Joey: if something happens to a boat, who is liable? The owner of the buoy?

Tyler: the terms and conditions are at the renter/user's own risk

Kendra: but they're not renting

Tyler: correct, they're reserving. There's no exchange of money

Brian: this feels more like a new business item that should be scheduled for a larger discussion
Adam: agreed, to be able to advise council we could use a longer presentation about the new business model
ACTION: Tyler can contact Sam about getting on the agenda for an agenda

Next update:

Lovel: heads up that Whatcom County issued a mitigated determination of non-significance at the gas facility in Ferndale, there's been an increase in vessel traffic in recent years and they want to increase it even further. They said they would require an environmental impact statement; now looks like that's not happening.

Friends of San Juans is looking at this. There was a vessel traffic assessment done but it was inadequate in several ways

Vendovi anchorage is south of Lummi island. This is Canadian tar sands crude oil. Friends will send out an action alert early next week. Lovel can work with staff to suggest comments to Council on this.

Note: sign up for action alerts with Friends of the San Juans!

FYI - Whatcom County MDNS for AltaGas' ALA Energy LPG terminal's 31 prior unpermitted projects and 2 new projects: Parcel Number: 390129428046, 390129495093, Address: 4100 Unick Road.

SEPA Case Number: SEPA2024-00052., SEPA Determination: [MDNS](#),

<https://www.whatcomcounty.us/DocumentCenter/View/102728/SEPA2024-00052-MDNS-Distribution-Packet>

Next Update:

Brian: SRKW spotted last night for the first time since July 16th on the west side, J & L's. Four different groups

Frankie: and there have been two disentanglements this summer of the same whale, Frankie describes the process.

11:19 AM **Adjourn MRC Meeting**

11:48 AM **Convene CAG Meeting**

11:49 AM **CAG Updates/Business**

Sam Whitridge

- Wrap 2025 Grant Round

Wrapped up last meeting and put forth three projects for funding: The Coho preserve on Orcas (Land Bank), the Upright Head project on Lopez (Friends of the San Juans), and the outer islands landowner assessment. Funding board meets on the 16th of this month and makes final approval, then we can start with contracting etc.

- Update on future NOAA Salmon Recovery funding

Mixed information about funding from NOAA that goes to five states for salmon recovery funding. Those funds are still being held, pending review by the commerce secretary. Deadline of Sept 30th and if not released by then they're gone. Sam provides details on the funds and scrambling that may be available given this contingency. These are capital funds that fund the work (not capacity funds for staff which will be covered through summer of 2027).

Sam will keep this committee posted.

David: note, the Neck Point project was completed a couple weeks ago by Friends of the San Juans. Made a huge difference scenically but certainly also for forage fish and habitat-wise.

Lovel: it would be great if Tina could give a presentation about that with before and after shoreline photos

11:59 PM **Adjourn CAG Meeting**

MRC, CAG and LIO Committee Members in Attendance: Paul Andersson, Charles Bookman, David Checkley, Kailey Genther, Rich Goodhart, Brian Goodremont, Olivia Graham, Christina Koons, Adam Parrott, Lovel Pratt, Karin Roemers-Kleven, Joey Ullman, Sandy Wyllie-Echeverria,

Ex-officio, County support staff and members of the public: Tyler Clark, Marta Green, Katie Johnson, Jason Lim, Frances Robertson, Kendra Smith, Sam Whitridge

11:19 AM Convene LIO Meeting

11:20 AM LIO Business agenda

• PSP Updates

Katie Johnson

Jason Lim

Two updates,

The government office is continuing the process of initializing the next executive director, hope that person is in place by end of September

And be aware the State hiring/travel and contract freeze will continue to the end of the biennium i.e. for the next two years because we just started the new biennium.

11:21 AM • Debrief August 20th Local Forum with Puget Sound Partnership Leadership Council

Thank you for everyone who was involved with the recent local forum. We received great feedback from PSP. They have a few meetings scheduled in coming weeks to discuss next steps

Rich: during the ask, you did an excellent job of the presentation. As discussion progressed with a friend who was here from port of Seattle, it sounded like they said they could get fees from the cruise ships

- brief discussion of other networking opportunities that came from that meeting.

Kendra: it's about how to ensure we preserve the environment that brings people here. We don't have a good funding mechanism for stewardship here, just grants. We need to come up with a new model. I plan to be diligent about assigning impact fees and linking them tightly with the services that make them possible.

We have until 2027 to figure this out

Olivia: are there other places in the US we can learn from?

Kendra: yes, Hawaii has a \$30 green tax. There are some other destinations implementing models like this

11:33 AM • 2026-2030 Action Plan Topic Prioritization

Katie sent out a survey to see what we wanted to focus on. Vessel Impacts and marine vegetation are at the top of our list. Then Floodplains and estuaries, Freshwater availability, and invasive species.

The next collective action plan will be Floodplains and estuaries. It's like lightning planning, spend 3 hours identifying gaps and barriers and look at what can be done. DV (Derelict Vessels) is something we've been working on and will continue to do so.

There will be opportunities to continue to work on these action plans annually. The action plan is a local snapshot based on a local topic in this area. Should be based on our specific needs, each LIO makes these action plans regionally and we can coalesce momentum when LIO's all have similar priorities or challenges. This can inform available funding, but it's not guaranteed.

Kendra: for some of these listed priorities (noxious weeds, salmon) there are other existing funding sources. I'm glad to see our focus on those top three categories for which there aren't other stable funding sources.

Paul: Some of these things LIO doesn't need to focus on because they're already being done.

And Floodplain and estuaries seems vague, what does that mean?

Katie: yes, like we previously did an OSS (On Site Septic) local action plan and then the Healthy Shorelines

Paul: OSS was something our Health dept works on but it's far insufficient. A huge Ecology grant opportunity just passed that would have helped with more OSS work. I think we could be more strategic.

Katie: I can invite some folks from Health to talk about the progress on that OSS project. And I agree, need to keep track of previous action plans and keep them moving

Paul: yes, instead of being told what to do every year, we need to steer this money where it matters most instead of coming up with something out of a too-broad topic

David: so, this survey result shows our interest in vessel impacts. It's an area we want to continue to focus on

Kendra: what about other LIO's, are they as interested in vessel impacts and marine vegetation?

Katie: I'm generally the main proponent of working on vessel impacts, Maybe some of our closer neighbors

11:46 AM • Stormwater Strategic Initiative: Local Integrated Watershed Planning Funding

We're pursuing this funding, looking at gaps and talking to the public and users about where there are gaps.

Use some of those convos to create a story map.

Kendra: climate will be a part of that as well. Different committees are looking at water use, some parts of island are using ground and some surface water. Need to gather together more information and bring it forward to so we can plan accordingly

11:48 AM **Adjourn LIO Meeting**