



SAN JUAN COUNTY
Marine Resources
Committee



Marine Advisory Committees **MRC-CAG-LIO** **Meeting Agenda**

Thursday, November 7th, 2024
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM

Microsoft Teams meeting

Join on your computer, mobile app or room device

[Join the meeting now](#)

Meeting ID: 275 375 842 278

Passcode: DorZLT

Or call in (audio only)

[+1 360-726-3293,,722731121#](#) United States, Seattle

[Find a local number](#)

Phone conference ID: 722 731 121#

While this is a virtual meeting, a public meeting place is available at the San Juan County Beaverton Valley Operations Center at 1609 Beaverton Valley Rd in Friday Harbor for those without mobile phone or internet access.

9:00 AM	Convene MRC Meeting – Adam Parrott
9:05 AM	Public Comment
9:10 AM	Approve meeting agenda – All Approve MRC October meeting minutes – MRC Members
9:15 AM	Presentation: Puget Sound Partnership Strategic Funding Team Update- Sadie Normoyle, PSP
9:45 AM	MRC Updates/Business • Open Public Meetings Act (OPMA) Training Reminder- <i>Sam Whitridge</i> • MRC Member Vacancy Update and next steps- <i>Sam Whitridge</i> • MRC Retreat Planning- <i>Sam Whitridge/Katie Johnson</i> • NWSI Conference Planning- <i>Sam Whitridge</i> • NWSC DEI Workshop Report- <i>Karin Roemers-Kleven</i> • Cattle Point Project Update and Planning- <i>Katie Johnson</i> • Early Planning for Marine Managers Workshop- <i>Sam Whitridge/Frances Robertson</i> • MRC subcommittee updates ○ Outreach & Education- <i>Katie Johnson</i> ○ Marine Stewardship – <i>Frances Robertson</i>

	○ Plastic Free Salish Sea- <i>Karin Roemers-Kleven/Katie Johnson</i> ○ Eelgrass Protection- <i>Beth Tate/Katie Johnson</i> ○ Derelict Vessel Prevention- <i>Adam Parrott/Kari Koski</i> ○ Oil Spill Prevention and Response Preparedness-<i>Lovel Pratt</i> ● Other subcommittee updates
10:55 AM	Committee member updates and any other business
11:00 AM	Adjourn MRC Meeting Convene CAG Meeting
11:00 AM	CAG Agenda –<i>Sam Whitridge</i> Presentation: Climate Resilient Riparian Systems Lead Program Follow-up presentation, <i>Colin Hume and Libby Gier, Dept of Ecology</i>
11:30 AM	Adjourn CAG Meeting Convene LIO Meeting
11:10 AM	LIO Updates/Business ● PSP Updates- <i>Jason Lim</i> ● EPA Funding Model/LIO Action Plans- <i>Katie Johnson</i> ● LIO Executive Committee- <i>Katie Johnson</i>
12:00 PM	● Adjourn LIO Meeting

MRC, CAG and LIO Committee Members in Attendance: Matt Arata, Paul Andersson, Dave Checkley, Kailey Genter, Olivia Graham, Lovel Pratt, Mike Ramsey, Craig Smith, Beth Tate, Sandy Wyllie-Echeverria

Ex-officio, County support staff and members of the public: Katherine Combs, Victoria Compton, Audrey Coyne, Libby Gier, Colin Hume, Katie Johnson, Kari Koski, Jason Lim, Sadie Normoyle, Frances Robertson, Kayla Seaforth, Kendra Smith, Jamie Stephens, Sam Whitridge, Cindy Wolf

9:04 AM **Convene MRC meeting**

Adam Parrott

9:05 AM **Public Comment**

9:05 AM **Approve meeting agenda, Approve MRC October meeting minutes**

MRC members

A few members absent but we have a quorum. Nothing to add or change to the agenda, it is approved.

No edits for the minutes. Lovel moves to approve the October minutes, Dave seconds. All in favor, approved.

9:07 AM **Presentation: Puget Sound Partnership Strategic Funding Team Update**

Sadie Normoyle

Background on the strategic funding team – Sadie breaks down each member and who to go to for help.

Five-person team, Sadie is Funding Coordinator – increases collaboration, connect partners pursuing same things. Funding Barrier Specialist, Jessica, works to remove barriers that hinder funding, support partners to secure funding

Restoration and Transportation Funding Strategist, strengthen alignment between these sectors through planning & implementation of projects. Nexuses include culverts, bridges, roads, etc. Grant Writer specialist, help with grant proposals and monitor grant progression. The overall focus of the team is to accelerate implementation of Puget sound recovery. Documenting funding needs.

Sadie elaborates on long term vision for the team, and on each position:

The Restoration and Transportation funding strategist – focus on partnerships, planning, projects and funding.

Strengthen existing partnerships and develop new connections, highlight common goals and values. Streamline

planning processes, pursue funding jointly for projects with a nexus of restoration and transportation goals

Grant writer and Strategist, Michelle, can help with grant application development. She doesn't submit for an entity but help with writing, reviewing and editing. That's grant assistance vs. grant strategy, which is about a

project's desired outcome, potential timelines, etc. Can investigate potential funding pathways and sources over multiple years. Must approach Michelle with a project already in mind, there's an intake form,

<https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/d835519e3c454ef286dbbdcdf9ae008b>

Strategic Funding Coordinator – understanding communicating and documenting funding needs. Sadie is happy to attend LIO meetings or contact me directly, Sadie.Normoyle@psp.wa.gov.

PS RAFTR, Puget Sound Recovery Acceleration Funding. Sadie shows its home page, section for showing funding resources, active announcements. Button to opt in for email alerts,

<https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/6f12941d99644b0e93deaed86f1674f0/page/Home/?views=Active-Announcements>

Monthly Funding calls – first Monday of the month 9-10am (unless Monday is a holiday, then following Tuesday).

Sadie provides funding opportunities, answers questions, guest speakers, other team members. Opting in for the email alerts includes reminder of the funding calls and link to join them.

Wrap up/FAQ for the strategic funding team: The funding team helps connect with opportunities and partners. Not apply for the funding on your behalf or award funds, but help in various ways – application and development, writing/editing, coordination with partners for submission, guidance on strategy development, overview of

rules/reporting requirements, etc., technical assistance support, can provide grant-writing workshops if there's interest and template development Strategicfunding@psp.wa.gov

QUESTIONS:

Frankie: does the transportation include marine infrastructure?

Sadie: yes, confirmed that marine infrastructure could be part of Sound infrastructure

Cindy: I want Colin Huntimer to get this message, Sam will make sure he does

9:30 AM **MRC Updates/Business**

- Open Public Meetings Act (OPMA) Training Reminder

Sam

Whitridge

Hopefully everyone can complete this in the next few weeks, before the retreat next month so we can discuss

- 9:32 AM • MRC Member Vacancy Update and next steps

Sam

Whitridge

We need diversity from different islands. We'll be moving forward with interviews in coming weeks, hope for new member by end of year. Please pass along recruitment to people you know, especially Lopez/Shaw outer island

- 9:33 AM • MRC Retreat Planning

Sam Whitridge/Katie Johnson

Scheduled for Friday December 6th. In person at the grange in FH. A few may need to attend virtually. Framework for the retreat: We need to spend a chunk of time on work planning for the coming year, projects/ subcommittees. We'll have a couple presentations –kelp aquaculture, applications in Puget sound.

Lovel: great opportunity for the MRC to learn more and perhaps make recommendations to County for best practices in processing those applications, and anything we think the applications should address

- 9:40 AM • NWSI Conference Planning

Sam

Whitridge

Next weekend! Olivia, Lovel, Kari, Katie attending. Friday & Saturday in Everett, Kari Koski will present about DV

- 9:41 AM • NWSC DEI Workshop Report

Sandy Wyllie-Echeverria

Sandy attended, working through notes, will present about it next month. Circle back on this.

Olivia: I also attended; team met twice so far. More scheduled, we'll have updates at the retreat or beyond

- 9:43 AM • Cattle Point Project Update and Planning

Katie Johnson

Smaller iteration of what was previously planned, just interpretative signage. A previous subcommittee worked on this (Phil & Megan) now looking for others willing to work on this for next few months. Progress Report due in January. Tyler Davis originally headed this up a couple years ago. Kailey Genther and Beth Tate volunteer.

- 9:45 AM • Early Planning for Marine Managers Workshop

Sam Whitridge/Frances Robertson

We've discussed idea of holding this in conjunction with terrestrial managers' meeting.

Frankie: There is a lot of overlap between attendees. The other idea that would tie nicely between groups is opportunity to share results of vessel impact work because a lot of it revolves around state parks, BLM sites, etc. Bringing together regulators and land managers to look at maps of vessel impacts.

Lovel: this is a great idea; I have another suggestion for the marine managers workshop – there's been a request from Clallam County MRC for Coast Guard to participate in upcoming NW Straits conference and address increase in vessel traffic. Also a great topic and would be of interest to other MRC's in the region as well as transboundary.

Cindy: I sat next to Lucas from NW Straits at Ecosystem Coordination Board meeting and we discussed that idea

Matt: at the last MMW, first day was intense and second day more laidback. We should have first day be our MMW (and terrestrial have their own) and second day combine so that not duplicating or running out of steam
Craig: I like the idea of combining the managers as well as Lovel's idea, and I think one of the goals could be to get broader support for an ERTV because an oil spill would affect terrestrial managers too.
Frankie: for the vessel impacts this annual meeting is a good opportunity. There's overlap and interest in crowding

9:56 AM • MRC Subcommittee updates:

o Outreach & Education

Sandy Wyllie-Echeverria

Sandy & Kailey continue to discuss the youth member, Sandy will report at the retreat.

Also, in the DEI workshops we've been discussing getting younger members involved with the MRC

9:57 AM o Marine Stewardship

Frances Robertson

The MSA is on the MRC website. Last remaining task to is include it in an MRC update to County Council.

9:58 AM o Plastic Free Salish Sea

Karin Roemers-Kleven/Katie Johnson

Recent website revamp. New monthly beach cleaning effort with hosts. In September Sherriff's guild hosted, 30 people showed up and picked up lots of trash. December 1st 11am-1pm to be hosted by Whale Museum

10:00 AM o Oil Spill Prevention and Response Preparedness

Lovel Pratt

Sam: I sent that outreach to Ecology October 15th, haven't heard back yet beyond initial response

Lovel: let's get in touch if we continue not to hear. I've been monitoring oil tanker traffic from transmountain terminal, they're transiting then going to Vendovi anchorage. Vendovi is protected by the Preservation Trust. I'm concerned about increased traffic and this area being used as a parking lot and offshore drift at the entrance to the Strait of Juan de Fuca. This is an ongoing issue that touches precisely on our confidence in Ecology's model

Craig: Ecology report doesn't include Rosario strait, that's unfortunate, does anything else look at Rosario?

Lovel: only the vessel traffic assessment from 2016, I can share those

-Craig and Lovel will continue this discussion offline

10:10 AM o Eelgrass Protection

Sandy Wyllie-Echeverria

work continues on an app for boaters to warn when they're coming into a seagrass zone. Sandy will report about that at retreat. National Park service is having a virtual symposium in February for projects in Washington's parks. Two students in Sandy's lab will talk about eelgrass protection, Sandy will send out an announcement about that.

10:13 AM o Derelict Vessel Prevention

Kari Koski

We've started patrols for the fall, looking at some usual suspects and some new ones. Tagging and notices of concerned vessel. We've had some good response. I'll send an invite in case anyone wants to join in patrols, usually 10am-4pm. And whenever you're by the shore or on a boat keep an eye out, this is the time of year for issues.

10:15 AM **Committee member updates and any other business**

Sam Whitridge

Sam: event Saturday at SJ Community theatre, the documentary Fish War will be screening, hosted by Friends of SJ's and the Stewardship network. Film screening, opening performance with Lummi nation Blackhawk dancers and then a panel discussion following the screening led by Tribal leaders. Screenings on Orcas and Lopez, nothing virtual.

<https://sanjuans.app.neoncrm.com/np/clients/sanjuans/event.jsp?event=1852>

<https://www.sanjuanjournal.com/life/fish-war-tours-the-san-juan-islands-november-7-8-and-9/>

10:19 AM **Adjourn MRC meeting, Convene CAG meeting**

Whitridge

Presentation: Climate Resilient Riparian Systems Lead Program Follow-up*Colin Hume and Libby Gier*

Climate Resilient Riparian Systems Lead. Colin shares map showing Puget Sound funding regions. With partner engagement identified investment priorities to inform our investment plan. We have a Summary Report on our website, <https://apps.ecology.wa.gov/publications/SummaryPages/2406013.html>

Looking for programmatic proposals. Strategic funding within a focus area including priorities for salmon recovery, water quality, climate adaptation etc. Encourage collaborative riparian applications across watersheds.

Investment Plans and Priorities – invest in riparian programs at a watershed scale. Six focus areas:

1. Reach-scale approach to planning and outreach, strategic approach. Regional coordination and planning, landowner engagement and recruitment activities, etc. We want to help pay for those efforts
2. Native plant materials: plant propagation, procurement, holding facilities, etc. Ensure no roadblocks to getting plants when needed. Getting plants in the ground – design, procurement, and establishing plants.
3. Maintenance, Monitoring, and adaptive management. Focus on providing long-term riparian project support
4. Landowner incentives – still working on this. Focus on BMP's that help address needs of landowner while we're planting i.e. fencing, watering. We're interested in novel approaches from applicants
5. Permanent Protection of Riparian Habitat – acquisitions, easements, etc. to preserve lands intact when they're under threat of development or being restored
6. Future eligible proposal activities – innovative landowner incentives, maintenance support stipends, and other activities to consider for future, we're still figuring out

Projected funding availability and key dates – approx. \$9million, solicitations potential in summer 2025. Contract start in March, work next summer. Minimum awards of \$500,000 and max award of \$2,750,000, no match required because that's already coming from federal funds. Focused on large-scale programs

https://ecology.wa.gov/about-us/payments-contracts-grants/grants-loans/find-a-grant-or-loan/climate-resilient-riparian?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

Eligible Applicants: Special purpose districts, Tribes, etc. Ineligible: state agencies or for-profit agencies.

Ineligible proposals/activities: Proposals with no direct benefit to riparian restoration in Puget sound watersheds, no funding of mitigation or flood control, culvert removal/installation etc. There's a Riparian buffer width requirement, there's a chapter on this in the funding guidelines. This is part of conditions EPA puts on funding.

https://apps.ecology.wa.gov/publications/SummaryPages/2406020.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

List serve for update info, there's a link to sign up, https://ecology.wa.gov/water-shorelines/puget-sound/helping-puget-sound/riparian-restoration/grant-application-resources?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

Workshop December 10th 9am-3pm with Snohomish Conservation District, Climate Resilience Riparian Restoration.

There is a virtual attendance option but more activities in-person. This is what we want to do with this award – knowledge sharing, identifying barriers, focus on region-wide success and long-term stewardship. To sign up,

<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf1i8hZsQ79aOzHWUuaMbDbXEoyGz9IYT5zxGF0oxg7zwy0Q/viewform>

Best contact for questions – Libby.gier@ecy.wa.gov

Kendra: in Snohomish training, I wish I didn't see those plastic tubes! They add no benefit, costly and wash down stream and cause problems, encourage not using them. And we may not be eligible because it's expensive in the islands and limited salmon use of system but if truly climate focused there would be some water quality benefits.

Craig: landowner incentive payments, especially for ecosystem services, are those just for the duration or ongoing? Because if there are costs incurred for loss of land it'll be ongoing

Colin: we're working on that, emerging challenge

-More discussion of how this will look on an applicant-by-applicant basis, adaptive with respect to climate resilience

-some discussion of use of specific plant species and where to source from
Dave: what other things could we do to enhance salmon spawning grounds?
Colin: different versions of assisted migration, etc. We'll help support those conversation over coming years.
Kendra: use of GIS analysis of climate resilience and identifying cold water refugia.
Kayla: I'll follow up on that

11:00 AM **Adjourn CAG meeting**

November 7, 2024

LIO Meeting Summary

MRC, CAG and LIO Committee Members in Attendance: Dave Checkley, Olivia Graham, Mike Ramsey, Craig Smith, Sandy Wyllie-Echeverria

Ex-officio, County support staff and members of the public: Katherine Combs, Victoria Compton, Audrey Coyne, Katie Johnson, Jason Lim, Sadie Normoyle, Frances Robertson, Kendra Smith, Jamie Stephens, Sam Whitridge, Cindy Wolf

11:00 AM **Convene LIO Meeting**

11:00 AM **LIO Updates/Business**

• **PSP Updates**

Jason Lim

All LIO's in year three of funding contract. OSS action plans are moving forward

11:01 AM • **EPA Funding Model/LIO Action Plans**

Katie Johnson

If there are to be more action plans, we need them to be ways to get things funded in our community to help with ecosystem recovery and support. Please plan to participate in 1-3 more action plans but don't know yet what the topics will be. There may be a common topic region wide or an opportunity for us to select our own that's important to us, like oil spill prevention.

They're looking for input, want proposals for the guiding principles behind the EPA funding model. Want those EPA funds to be from things like the MSA and implemented across all LIO's – important because we're not as competitive as other LIO's for big things like SIL grants. Think about investment priorities in alignment with the action plans. Cindy has been helpful with this in ECB.

Director of PSP want to meet with our LIO executive committee in February, they'll come to our meeting to discuss. LIO coordinators are meeting on December 3. They're open to ideas

• **LIO Executive Committee**

Katie Johnson

We no longer have the population called for in our LIO operations in terms of Council members and Tribal members. It would behoove us to extend invitations and reinvigorate the LIO, get more involvement.

Sam: the executive committee went dormant because the funding went away and there wasn't as much of a need to make decisions. But if direct funding is coming back this is a great opportunity to think about it. Maybe we can carve out some time at an upcoming meeting to do some visioning around that

Cindy: we discussed ideas around smaller grants rather than large competitions, that has come up in the past.

End on a piece of good news: Initiative 2117 was defeated. MRC cosigned on some comments

11:11 PM **Adjourn LIO Meeting**